Can you believe I live in Alberta now? I never thought I’d see the day! Moving into a new town definitely has its ups and downs. One of the hardest things about moving, I find, is not only getting used to the new setting, but also finding new friends and new things to do. So I thought to myself, “Why don’t I make a list of all the things I’d like to do out West?”
I got to work right away doing some research about activities and events going on in Grande Prairie. The first thing I noticed was that music events weren’t as easy to find as they were in the East Coast. So when I spotted a bar that had live bands playing almost every weekend, that was the first thing to go on the list.
What other kind of things could there possibly be to do in this town? What about volunteering? That was the second thing I was most interested in finding during my research. As you may have read on my blog post, Volunteering, I already got a jumpstart on that!
Everything else that popped up in the search would fall into two categories: hobbies and activities from my usual routine, and new exciting activities for me to try.
Here’s what I’ve gathered up…
Things To Do Out West:
- Listen to live music at Better Than Fred’s
- Go to Bingo!
- Volunteer at the Art Gallery (Check!)
- Learn how to shoot a gun (Check!)
- Go to the Festival of Lights! (Check! See: November in a nutshell)
- Listen to local music (Check – at the Festival of Lights!)
- Attend Yoga classes
- Go to a Dinner Theatre
- Volunteer at the SPCA
- Check out The Jump Yard!! – I am so excited, I can’t believe we haven’t gone yet!
- Go to a First Nations public event!
- Go Rock Climbing at the Regional College
- Join a choir
- Go to Banff
- Listen to music at the Entrec Centre
- Go to Jasper (Check! See: My 25th Birthday)
- Visit the Dinosaur Museum
- Listen to Red Moon Road in Valleyview!!! – THIS IS GOING DOWN ON FEBRUARY 6TH AND I CAN’T WAIT! 😀
- Take a new class, like pottery or sewing
- Travel to the Northwest Territories
- Visit Alaska!
- Visit friends in Calgary
- Jam with friends
- Go to a music festival in Spring/Summer
- More to come…
Do you have any suggestions or ideas that I could add to my list? Leave me a comment and if it’s possible/it doesn’t scare the crap out of me, I’ll add it on!