Ok… Ok… so let’s go back, month by month. Dear God, where did I even leave off? Somewhere in May? And still, that last post was basically just a super quick recap since I got back to Moncton. You did know that I’m back in Moncton, right?

So many things to talk about, so little time to type them all out!!

First things first: work! So, for those who didn’t know, I currently work at the zoo again – this time as a casual full-time working 10 months per year. And get this? My title is ‘Inventory Manager.’ I’m a manager!! I mean, of inventory. But still! This job has been keeping me insanely busy ever since I started, which hasn’t been so great for my social life,but pretty nice for my bank account!

When I did get some time off from work, I made sure to make the most of it – and this meant making tons of summer travel plans to see family, friends, and so much more!


The first trip on the list: Cheticamp for a Boudreau family get-together! What a fantastic weekend – seeing my little cousins, catching up with all my uncles and aunts, plus best of all, eating fresh lobster!! There really is nothing like going back home and catching up. Plus I was so fortunate that Max and Remi were both able to come for the trip!

Next up was getting to see two different CD releases from lots of my talented friends. Not only did I get to listen to Chrsitine Melanson accompanied by my old high school friend Maxim Cormier, but I also got to be there for Cy’s amazing CD launch too! Both took place at the Aberdeen Centre in town and sounded absolutely phenomenal! You definitely need to check out their music if you haven’t already done so!

And to finish up the month of June, I got a wonderful visit from all of my family on my dad’s side! We had a big BBQ supper at our place and then we got some big news – my step-brother Michael and his girlfriend Nicki announced that they are going to have a baby girl! We knew that a baby was on its way, but they surprised us by bringing in a big gift, which we opened after the BBQ. I suspected it had something to do with the baby, but we were all so happy when we opened it and saw a pair of pink little cowboy boots! She’s going to be some spoiled, that little girl!


Oh, and did I mention that it was Rib Fest that weekend? Ok, I, personally, wasn’t super excited, but the rest of the family sure was, so we made sure to swing by and we all got to stuff our faces. Yes, even me! There was corn on the cob, poutines, ice cream, and loads of other stuff, most of which did not have meat! The ribs were basically the only meat part of the event.


And although we forgot to take a big family picture together, we got this great shot of Remi, Dad, me and Max at the Rib Fest!



July was definitely the busiest month of the summer – 4 trips, a baby shower, some beach days, concerts, and so much more!

Ok, let’s start from the beginning. On the first of July, Max and I made a day-trip to Shediac on the motorcycle! We actually ran into my good friend Sarah, who was working there near the beach, so we caught up with her for a bit, got some ice cream, and then made our way to the beach for the afternoon to relax and catch some rays!


And for those of you who don’t know, July 1st is also Canada Day! So we spent that night watching the fireworks like we do every year, by the river in the downtown area.


As the days went by, I started getting everything ready for the craft fair in Cheticamp in mid-July. I made some new stock, got a Mailing List printed off, found some baskets and displays for my table, and made some signage. But it wasn’t time to go to the craft show quite yet. First off – Janice’s baby shower!
Our friends were expecting a baby girl, and this was the first time I had ever been invited to a baby shower in my entire life, so you can imagine I was pretty stoked! Max and I went shopping a few times and got them a few things, although I wasn’t too sure how it worked. I went to the baby shower by myself and was so glad when I saw there was at least one person I knew. We played lots of games and ate loads of food that all the guests had made. I actually got lots of compliments on my dessert – Aero Bar Squares! (Thanks Val!)

It actually lasted a lot longer than I thought, but it was fun. When it was all over, I headed home and Max told me that the diaper party was kind of an open party for guys and girls so I could head over if I wanted! When I got there, this is what I found:

Next up was the Craft Fair! Max was hoping to get some time off to come with me, but unfortunately he ended up working all weekend, so I drove down to Cape Breton with my brother – thank God, I have no idea how I could have managed without him!! Oh and my mom was an enormous help too, since she and Steve decided to come down to visit the same weekend! This visit down home was definitely the busiest one I’ve had so far. I hardly had any time to see family at all, so they all came to see me! I spent most of the two days at the Craft Show, and believe it or not, but I actually sold products for a total of $90! I was pretty proud. But mostly I was overwhelmed with the support from family and friends and I just wanted to take the time to say thank you to every one who came out to see me, even if it was just to say hi!

Not only was I super busy with the craft show, but I also had a gig the second night! I got asked to play some acadian folk music with two friends from home and I couldn’t have imagined asking for a better pair of musicians to play with! We had to practice the first day, so that took up the rest of my free time, and then the second night was the concert. We did get to see more faces at this event so I pretty got to see a big chunk of people I knew, however visits down home never seem to be long enough!

You would think that that would be it for the month of July, right? Well you would be wrong! We still managed to get even more things done! The following weekend, Max actually did get some time off, so we headed up to PEI to visit my dad and step-mom who were out camping for two weeks. We had made plans so that all of us could go up at the same time, so Remi, Max and I drove up from Moncton, and Joel went up to Miramichi to pick up Katelyn, both of whom met us there the second night. Unfortunately, Michael was working so he and Nicky couldn’t make the trip from Sydney. Nevertheless, we had a great time together, playing on the bouncy hill, going for walks along the beach, making campfires and best of all, eating delicious meals surrounded by my favourite people all weekend!



Finally, there was one last trip! Unfortunately, Max couldn’t get the time off for this one either, and Remi had started working as well, so I was on my own. I drove down to Cape Breton all by my lonesome and made it to Cheticamp during the day Friday. That night was the first concert of The Phantom’s 50 year reunion!! I was pretty excited and was really looking forward to heading there with Val and her boyfriend David. However, I was a little disappointed because everyone else I knew who was in town was only going to the concert the second night, which was going to be the biggest night. We still had a good time, but Val and I kept thinking it wasn’t as good as other concerts we’ve seen. It probably didn’t help that we were both dead sober.

So I went home around midnight, because I’m a party pooper and most definitely an early bird kind of gal. I crashed at my aunt’s house for the night as I usually do and slept so well. The next morning, I decided to take it easy and go grab some breakfast and eat it on the beach. And what a beauty of a morning it was!!


After I took a little time for myself, I headed up to visit my bestie at work, where they were having a Pokemon Go lure party – with free WIFI!! So I pretty much spent the rest of my morning there before heading back to Moncton. From there, I basically only had time to stuff my face with leftovers, pack a new bag, and Max and I were off to Charlo to visit his family!

We had debated how to proceed with travel plans for this because we were going up to see Cream Cheeze’s 50th anniversary concert on Sunday, but I was working on Monday so we decided to drive up Saturday as soon as I was back from Cheticamp/when Max was done work, so we would be able to spend some time with his family. It was still up in the air about when we would drive back, but his mom convinced us to stay overnight Sunday as well and we would drive back early Monday morning, since my shift only started at 11AM.

In Charlo, it was just as nice if not nicer weather than in Cheticamp! And lucky us, one of our friends – who currently lives in Alberta – was down for a few weeks and he invited us to go out on his speedboat! So off we went on a little adventure to visit Bird Shit Island, as they call it, and Heron Island.



You might be wondering, ‘Now what in the heck have you been up to in the month of August?’ Well I’ll tell you, a lot less. It was more down-time for this month, although I did still get to visit with lots of family and friends too.

The month started off pretty much the best way a month could possibly start. So our friends – same ones who had the baby shower in July – had announced during last Christmas break that they were expecting a baby. We later found out that it was going to be a baby girl, although we were still in Alberta at the time and at that point, we weren’t even sure if we would be back in town before she was born. Fortunately, both of us made it back to the East Coast, as you must all know by now, and we got to go see little baby Kaylee the day of her birth! Max went to visit earlier in the day while I was at work and actually sent me a picture of him holding the baby. When I opened it on my lunch break, I basically broke into tears. (Prepare yourself for “AWW”-ing)


Ok, let’s change the subject before I start bawling again!

As if that wasn’t enough, nothing marks the month of August quite like freshly picked wild blueberries!!

Max found the spot one day when he was driving for work, although he didn’t quite know what all those folks were picking. Since it was my day off, I decided to go have a look, and not surprisingly, it was a giant field of blueberries!! I hadn’t brought a bucket with me because it was quite hot and I wasn’t in the mood to actually go picking, I had initially just went to see what it was. But then I started picking a few. And then a few more. And then I filled up my purse!


And then, when I told Max and Remi, they were excited and wanted to go out picking too! So we made plans to go together the following day, and even though it was pretty muggy/drizzling, we made it through the afternoon and they each filled one mason jar of blueberries!


Then it was time to get to baking! We actually did a whole lot of baking during the month of August, especially with all these blueberries. Here’s the first blueberry pie I made:


But we didn’t just do at-home stuff during this month. Mid-month, my mom, step-dad and all his family came up from Halifax and we spent an entire day at Magic Mountain together! This year, the kids were actually all old enough to go on a quite a few of the waterslides so they all kind of ran off in different directions and Remi, Max and I got into our own line-up. We knew it would be busy, as we chose to go on a Saturday afternoon, but it was giving rain on Sunday, and who cares about line-ups when you get to spend time with family. 🙂

The first line-up was actually the worst, so we avoided that area the rest of the afternoon. And after that, we got to go on pretty much all the slides, except of course I opted out of the big scary ones. Oh, and we couldn’t go to the water park without doing the wave pool and the lazy river!

But the water fun wasn’t even over yet! After we were done at Magic Mountain, we got cleaned up and ended up just ordering pizza for everyone at the hotel where they were all staying. And of course, immediately after supper, the kids wanted to go into the pool, so we made our way down there. Remi, Max and I didn’t have our bathing suits but we hung out with them while they swam to their little hearts content.

The next day, the kids and my step-siblings headed back home right after breakfast, but my mom, my step-dad and my niece were staying for an extra night so I went to spend the afternoon with them at the mall where I got myself this gorgeous new purse!!


That night, we made sure to bring our bathing suits when we all went to visit them at the hotel and we spent most of the night going down the hotel’s brand new waterslide! Oh, and I spent most of my time in the hot tub.

The next day was a day that marks a very important part of who I am. August 15th is national Acadian Day! So that night was the big Acadie Rock concert happening downtown, and I was definitely not going to miss it! And to make the experience even better, my boyfriend made sure we stopped at some stores to get some acadian swag, and just LOOK how amazing his best friend looks riding on his motorcycle on the way to the concert!

And of course, we rode on the motorcycle too so that Max could wear his Acadian flag cape.

The concert was just as amazing as every year. They never seem to disappoint! And this year, PJ was 19 so we could all be on the same side of the event! The best part was by far watching Serge Brideau from Les Hôtesses d’Hilaire dressed up as Évangeline.

Ok, now time for more adventuring! Since I had a week off of work, we decided whenever Max would have a day off that we would go off to try to find Memel Falls. Everyone from work had been going on and on about them and kept saying how easy they were to find. But let me tell you, some people are not so great at giving directions!

The directions that were online were just as confusing, although we decided to follow them figuring they would be our best bet. We went down one road, and then took a right when we got to a fork in the road, like it had said to do. Then is when it got pretty confusing. We figured we were probably at the right spot so we stopped the car and started walking down one trail. Turns out it wasn’t really a trail, so we turned around and kept looking. Then we found a real trail, obviously walk-able, unlike the first one. So we make our way up through the trees and actually find some cool stuff. First, Max found some wild blackberries that were delicious! Then Max found an old scrap car and got pretty excited about that. We kept walking for quite a while and still couldn’t hear anything that sounded remotely like falls. We didn’t feel too hopeful at this point, so I took some pictures of the scenery that was around us. Still beautiful even though they weren’t falls.


After a good 10-15 more minutes of walking, the forest suddenly ends and we’re on a giant dirt road. Crap, this is the road we were at the first time. There are men working construction on the road so Max decides to go ask them for directions. They weren’t really sure exactly where it was, but they sure gave us better directions than the ones we found online. And lucky us, one of the guys offered to drive us back to our car instead of having us backtrack 45 minutes in the woods.

We hoped into the old man’s truck and he drove us down the rode, which was actually the correct road, we just hadn’t driven nearly far enough to find them. The road was only wide enough for one vehicle so when we came up to a car driving in the opposite direction, the man asked us if we were OK to walk the rest of the way so he could head back and let that car through. We thanked him very much for the drive this far, and our car was just up around the bend so he saved us a crap load of walking!

We started walking and the car from the other direction rolled down his window and actually gave us detailed directions about how to get to the falls. We thanked him as well and then saw a man and a young boy walking up, probably looking for the falls as well. We asked them and they were indeed heading there but also had no idea where to go. They had parked even further from the falls than us and had been walking for a bit, so we offered to drive them back to their car with ours, then we followed each other into the dirt trails until we made it to the right spot.

We all got out and were relieved to have found Memel Falls! Now all that was left was a quick hike down.

Max and our new friends all went in for a swim, but it was so freezing cold, I could only bear to put my feet in. They even climbed up and jumped from the top of the falls!

I really couldn’t imagine spending all my adventures with anyone other than this wonderful man.


And finally at the end of August, we got to spend some time with Max’s family who were down camping in Cap Pelé. We went up there a couple of times to relax.


No better way to end the summer than going to the beach and watching the sunset with family.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s