September Sum-up

Every year, September has been pretty hectic for me. Usually though, it’s due to the school year starting up. This time, it’s just real life – and I am not complaining!

This entire month consisted of amazing memories with family and friends, I felt constantly surrounded by loving and caring people. I almost cried of joy so many times, it was overwhelming to realize how fortunate I am to have all these incredible people in my life.

First example: the month started off with me getting home from an exhausting day at work, after having worked 50+ hours that week, and finding a beautiful bouquet of flowers on the counter with a post-it on it saying, “To Carmen, From Rémi xoxo.” Just like that. For no reason. Flowers. For me!!


That same day, Max and I headed up to Miramichi to see all of my dad’s family since they were up there packing up all of Katelyn’s stuff for her to move back to Cape Breton. She wasn’t moving on that specific day, but she was moving out of her apartment and crashing at a friend’s place for a week instead of paying a full month’s rent for only living there the extra week to finish her work contract.

We had a really great time up in Miramichi. We went walking down the streets, got some coffee, had supper together at the hotel where they were all staying that night, and spent some time relaxing and catching up. Ok, so it wasn’t exactly the most exciting night of my life, but it’s moment like these that I appreciate the most because as we get older, it is becoming harder and harder for us to get together, and when we do, just each others’ presence is enough to warm my heart.

And speaking of my heart – oh my heart! September 6th marked our one year anniversary. I was trying not to get too excited about it, because I always expect too much and go way over the top for things like this (birthdays, Christmas, anniversaries, etc). I had been very hesitant about what to buy him as an anniversary gift, and I could just not think of a single thing. Every time I thought about getting him something, there was an immediate after thought of, “But what if he would rather have that other kind/brand instead?” And that would convince me not to buy it. Every. Time. So here I was, on the day of our anniversary, still no gift or anything. Plus, he had told me not to make plans because he was in charge of that tonight. Luckily, I was off that day, and so was my brother, so I dragged him along and we went shopping.

After going to a few stores, I finally decided I would get him a gadget and found a great purchase Best Buy. I also made a few pitstops to get him some candy from Bulk Barn and some homemade fudge from Cabela’s.

When we got back home, I felt proud that I hadn’t overspent, but that I found a good gift and added a few small gifts that I knew he would appreciate. Go me!

Our plans for that evening were still a surprise, so I (im)patiently waited for Max to get home from work. It was quite a rushed evening, as he had to make sure he was home for 5PM to sell a dolly he had purchased to move back East, and then, he mentioned, we had to hurry because his plans were timely as well.

I wasn’t sure what to wear/what to bring/etc, so I just went with it. He asked me to lock myself in our bedroom for a little bit because he had to prepare some stuff for the evening and I wasn’t allowed to see the preparation process – it would ruin the surprise, he said. So off I went and cuddled with my kitty in bed, browsing through Facebook on my cell phone.

A good 10-15 minutes later, we were all ready to go. He hurriedly asked me jump in the car, but to make sure I brought a sweater, because he knows me, and I always get cold at night.

As we start driving, my heart is pounding. Where on earth is he taking me? He looks over at me and tells me he is sorry, that everything isn’t going as he had planned. I’m not sure how to react. “What do you mean?” I say. He says he will explain after we arrive.

So we keep driving up towards the northern end of town, and I try to keep calm. We come to a halt at one of the highest points in city, and he hurriedly starts getting stuff ready. He puts down 2-3 blankets on the ground to make sure it is comfortable and he asks me to sit. He open up a cooler with a beautiful bottle of white wine, pours us each a glass. He starts taking everything out of the trunk and backseat – he really packed everything! He set up the portable BBQ that we have and lit it up to heat up veggie burgers and corn on the cob. We also had salad in a container to share, and typical Max, he brought out some fancy cheese and baguette as a starter!

“Ok, so if this wasn’t even the original plan, what exactly was?” I asked him.

“I was going to set up the futon mattress with dozens of pillows in the back of my truck so I could drive us down here to eat supper while we watched the sun set.”

My eyes started welling up. Wow.

I felt bad that he hadn’t had more time to get everything done for tonight. I knew he wanted it to be just perfect. But the thing is, it already was.

Except it gets even better…

So there we were, lying down on the blankets, finishing our glasses of wine and watching the night sky, when all of a sudden Max asks me to go grab the extra blanket I keep in the trunk so he can cover his legs – the mosquitos were attacking the heck out of us! Of course I would, so I got up and went to the car.

(Side note: I get pretty tipsy when I drink, even if it’s just one glass of wine.)

I get to the trunk and open it.

Me: “Max, there’s a box in here! I don’t think I’m supposed to see this.”

Him: “What?”

Me: “There’s a BOX in here!”

Him: “Ok, so what?”

Me: “Well, am I not supposed to see it?”

And finally it dawns on me that he didn’t ask me to get the blanket for his legs – he wanted me to see the box.

Him: “I donno… why don’t you uncover it and find out.”

I start giggling. I can’t believe he got me something else! The romantic evening was already so wonderful.

As I remove the blanket from the box, my jaw drops and my heart nearly pops out of my chest…



I start BAWLING. I’m not even kidding, he has it on video! I just kept repeating and repeating, “I can’t believe you did this!” Except you can imagine it in a super high pitch squeaky voice and I try to hold back the tears of joy.

I have wanted a Kitchen Aid Mixer for as long as I can remember. I have even teased him about it a million times since he broke my old electric mixer. But never in a million years did I actually expect him to get me one!!

I’m still in shock.

Ok… breathing now.

So that was the beginning of September. Hard to beat, let me tell you!

About halfway through the month, it started calling for frost at night, so Max and I started doing our tomato haul. We only had two plants, but they were pretty big and wielded more tomatoes than we expect. In the end, we decided it was best to just pick the ripest ones for now, and move the plants into the garage so they wouldn’t be too affected by the overnight cold.

But now was the time to make a plan. What would we do with all these tomatoes? Recipe number one: homemade salsa.


We also started making lots of homemade stuff, especially since I got the Kitchen Aid Mixer! To review everything we made, here’s a small list:

  • Fresh homemade biscuits
  • Homemade carrot zucchini muffins
  • Homemade blueberry pie
  • Homemade chocolate cake from scratch
  • Chocolate butter cream icing
  • Vanilla butter cream icing (because we didn’t know you weren’t supposed to put buttercream in the fridge and the chocolate one got too hard to serve the next day)
  • Homemade banana chocolate chip muffins (all gone within two days)
  • Homemade chocolate chip cookies


Next up: getting sick. Ugh. It’s that time of year. I got this terrible cold that hung around for over a week and I even had to miss a few days of work. Fortunately, I knew it was coming so it probably helped that I asked to leave early the first day I started feeling iffy. I got lots of rest, drank lots of fluids – you know the deal.

The following weekend, I still wasn’t back to 100%, but we had places to be, people to see – it was Nicki’s baby shower!! I was so happy it was a Sunday afternoon because it was a lot easier for me to take the day off work to drive to Cape Breton, plus Max and Remi are both off on Sundays too. Did I mention they both have jobs now? I don’t think I did! Well, more on that later.

I felt bad for making Max and Remi come up, because I had assumed the guys were having a diaper party the same afternoon. Oops. Guess not. Michael was actually working a +12 hours shift, so we were probably not even going to get to see him.

As for the party, it was a blast! It was a lot calmer than the other (and only) one I had been to, which was good given that I was still a little sick. It was really fantastic to see Michael & Nicki’s new house! They had bought it not too long ago and did a total flip of the house, all in such a short amount of time! Luckily they had great helpers, my dad and step-sister’s boyfriend included.

After it was all done, the boys (my dad, my brother, Max, & my step-sister’s boyfriend) all came to the house to join us and got to enjoy LOTS of leftovers. My God. I could not believe the amount of food that had been brought to this party! In any case, the guys loved it and they all stuffed their faces. Unfortunately, this meant that supper had been postponed to later that night, and we had to get home at a decent time since Max was working the next day at 5AM. At first, dad had said he would just take us all out for Chinese food, but then everyone wasn’t sure about what time we would go, and some people didn’t feel like Chinese, so in the end, dad said he would just transfer me some money and would pay for our meal on the road. We said our goodbyes to everyone and went back to the house, packed our stuff, and hit the road.

The following Sunday was just as hectic, but with the other half of my family! Max, Remi and I headed up to Halifax for the last Sunday of September to celebrate not one, not two, but three birthdays! My mom decided to combine my step-sister’s husbands birthday with my step-dad’s, plus my other step-brother’s birthday since they would be out of town for his birthday in early October.

We didn’t want to show up empty handed, so we all pitched in to get each person one gift. Steve received a book that I had found on the Indigo website that seemed really interesting, while the younger men each received a NSLC gift card.

Just to put it into perspective, each of my step-siblings are in a relationship, and in total, there are 5 children. And we can’t forget aunts and uncles, plus Nan. So all these people, plus my brother, my boyfriend and myself, were all gathered at my mom & step-dad’s apartment that Sunday night to enjoy a lovely home cooked meal. It’s always a feast when they have people over, no lie! There was so much food, half the people there took some leftovers home, us included! Oh my God, and the desserts! Mom had bought a beautifully decorated cake, but also wanted to make a second dessert in case there wasn’t enough cake for everyone. Just thinking about that dessert is making me drool. She made a homemade blueberry cheesecake with whip cream. YUM!!

And to finish off the month of September, I voluntarily took three shifts to work at the Magnetic Hill toll booth, and figured I could get lots of knitting/crochet done while I was there. Check out my newest product:


And that, folks, sums up my entire month of September!

Did you do anything amazing this past month? If so, drop me a line and let me know about it!



2 Replies to “September Sum-up”

  1. Carmen I enjoy reading your blog, it’s so refreshingly honest and real in a society that is sometimes so fake that when people cry you wonder if they bought their tears. You my dear girl are one in a million , keep writing.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s